Detailed instructions for Option A

Detailed instructions for Option A

STEP 1. If owning or when purchasing land for house relocation, firstly check with the Planning Department of your local Council for Planning Permit conditions and building envelopes. Some blocks have covenants which prohibit the use of second-hand materials. Also many areas of land have Planning Conditions Overlays such as water catchment or medium to high fire danger areas. These are reasons why a Planning Permit (if required) can take up to three months to be issued.

STEP 2. Make contact with the House Remover and discuss the following about the house you have found:

  • Address of the house / access
  • Sub-floor: the house must be sitting on stumps
  • Age of the house / style
  • Type of house for relocation – weatherboard / brick veneer / hardiplank
  • Size – number of bedrooms / extensions / availability of floor plans
  • Measurements – width / length / height of ceilings / high or low roof pitch
  • Roofing materials – tiles / iron. KHR will not transport tiles. However KHR will arrange for the installation of a new iron roof (usually Colorbond) over new steel batten and 50mm insulation blanket (required for Energy Ratings – Winter Rating 1.3 and Summer Rating 1.8) and new fascia. These materials will be charged as an extra.
  • Time frame for house to be off the property; keep in mind it will take you 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a Permit To Relocate (which comes under the umbrella of a Building Permit Application) form the City Council / Shire in which it is presently situated. KHR will recommend several private Building Surveyors for your Permit to Remove and for your new site Building Permit.
  • KHR accepts work approximately 3 to 4 months in advance. This gives clients time to arrange their Planning, Building Permits and finance.
  • Total disconnection of the electricity wire and gas metre prior to job commencement.
  • Price to relocate, restump, rejoin and re-roof (if required).
  • All asbestos to be removed prior to job commencement. KHR will recommend an asbestos removing firm.
  • An Asset Protection Permit has to be applied for by the local Council.

STEP 3. Discuss with the House Remover your block of land on which the house is to be relocated and related matters:

  • size / access / lie of the land. KHR likes to work on a level site. However the Contract allows for a fall of 700mm over the length of the house (average length is 14mts).
  • Prior to Council or your Private Building Surveyor issuing your Permits for the new site, you will be responsible for obtaining the following. KHR can assist with phone contacts:
    • Soil Report
    • 3 sets House Plans showing floor, elevation and stump hole layout.
    • Condition Report issued by Building Surveyor.
    • Owner-Builder registration required. This Permit Application can be downloaded from the Building Commission website or KHR can post you the booklet with application enclosed.
    • Local Council requirements.
    • Type of stumps: concrete stumps with ant caps that are set into concrete.
    • Insurances: 6.5 year Home Owners’ Warranty, Transit and Contract Works Insurances.
    • The best direction for the house to face, ceiling insulation (batts) and underfloor insulation both required for the Energy Ratings.
    • If a new Colorbond roof is required, what colour? New metal fascia may also be required and quad guttering is an optional extra.
    • Council Bond.
  • Areas of building works that KHR is not responsible for includes:
    • Electrical and plumbing (including downpipes).
    • Plaster repairs
    • Front & rear steps
    • Ceiling batts and underfloor insulation
    • Eave linings
    • Repairs or improvements
    • Installation or heating
    • Relaying of carpet
    • With a brick veneer house (bricks removed), KHR is not responsible for preparing the concrete footings or recladding for this type of house.